Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Home Movies

On Sunday evening, I was coerced into watching some old family videos and I'm so glad I did. A good portion of that had to do with the fact that someone had taken the time to make the archaic contraption known as a VHS player compatible with our television. The remaining part is due to an inspired idea from a great person.

We watched old videos, and started out with my Aunt's wedding in 1990. It was great to see my 5-6 year-old self, complete with mullet and cummerbund waddling around "helping out" at the reception. So much has changed in 20 years for everyone that was in the video. Now, I realize how stupid that sounds of COURSE people change over the course of 20 years. But it wasn't just the kids growing up. It was the now apparent wrinkles where smooth skin once dominated, the fact that romances that were just beginning, so fresh and full of life, have long since been dead. It was the obvious strength of loved ones that has since faded and eventually failed. While all of these observations were important to me and each memory touched me in a unique way, the thing that struck me with the most force was how fragile life is.

My heart was so full of love and joy not only for the scenes playing out on the screen but the thousand other memories that each image sparked. How amazing are our minds that we can recall all of these complex emotions with just a few light particles? In addition to the good, there was also a pang of loss for each new memory. Part of it had to do with loved ones that had passed away, both expected and untimely- but the loss of youth and innocence was present on every face that played across the screen.

At the end of the night, I walked into my room tired and full of thought only to find that my 5 year-old nephew had fallen asleep in my room. He was curled up like a cat in the middle of the bed. It was such a perfect moment. I had a beautiful glimpse of clarity- a sense of what life is, and the purpose of why things are the way they are. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

I listened to this song probably 5 times while writing this post btw.

3 comments:

  1. You're a great writer B! I love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song...both versions. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Brandon. You're a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my absolute favorite songs. I fine myself singing it SO often.

    Great post, Brandon.

    ReplyDelete