Monday, January 30, 2012

Music by Numbers

During a spreadsheet stint at work today, I looked at my ipod play list count and thought, "How cool would it be if I could count up how much time I've spent listening to The Strokes? " Well turns out, you can just copy and paste iTunes data directly into spreadsheets. So that is what I did. Brace yourself- it's about to get nerdy up in here.

  
I can't help it     

Basically I took every song I have on my iPod by The Strokes then took the play time per song, converted it to seconds and then multiplied that by the completed play count and added it up. It is important to note at this point that while this may reflect the amount of time using my iPod (since '08) it does not include listening to The Strokes via vinyl, CDs, radio, my old iPod, my old computer, or friend's musical devices. That being said, here are my results:



TOTAL TIME SPENT LISTENING TO THE STROKES*:

222,837 seconds
aka
3,713.95 minutes
aka
61.89 hours
aka
2.579 days


ANOTHER, MORE NERDY WAY TO LOOK AT THAT IS:

8,913,480 Blinks of an eye

11,141,850 Humming Wing beats

~ 928,48,750,000,000,000,000,000,000 Helium Half-Lives
(A Helium Half-Life = 2.4e-21 Seconds)



Do I regret any of that time or the time spent figuring this all out?  Not. one. second. 







*and one little gem by The Strokes & Regina Spektor called Post Modern Girls

2 comments:

  1. I totally listened through "ANGLES" today....spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to do this for The Avett Brothers. I may just beat you!

    ReplyDelete