Friday, June 1, 2012

Back

3 months.

Not bad if you think about it, okay really. My blogging has been terrible as of late. So an update for those of you who may not know (but most likely don't care either). I took an internship in Capitol Reef National Park at the UVU run field station. So technically I'm an employee of the university, but live within the park boundaries. I live out away from most everything, it takes me about an hour's drive to get into a two where I can get cell service.

I haven't really had a Friday off work yet, so now that I'm all alone until Monday morning, I thought it would be a good time to sit down and record some thoughts.

It truly is lovely here.  I mean it. As a Utah native, I thought I knew what it was to live in the desert, but I was mistaken. An area that I once deemed dead and only admired for it's geologic beauty, I now see in a new light. It is amazing to me how fragile the plants and animals are here, and to be honest, that fragility gives them an extra measure of beauty. A new lease of life and a soft part in my heart. How truly special it is to be here. To wake up and feel the wind on my face, to see the endless blue sky that is so deep at times it seems purple. To experience the night sky like I never have before. Obviously the rocks, oh, the rocks. At times I can't help but think that the designs in the cliff faces were carved by giants long before man ever stepped foot into the world. Gentle creatures that took to time to make this place, for the betterment of those that they knew they would never know. But then I think about how awesome the geologic processes are that composed this vision of splendor and am in awe all over again.

It's not without it's challenges, but nothing worthwhile is.

No comments:

Post a Comment